The development of some protosciences can be delayed because our existing conceptual systems make us cognitively closed to some new ideas. For example, before ocean rifts and trenches were understood, it was difficult for geologists to accept plate tectonics as meaningful science.
Which new areas of science are just waiting for a methodological or conceptual breakthrough? Are there some aspects of the universe that are simply beyond our technical or conceptual limitations?
- See the Wikipedia article on Protoscience.
- A descriptive list of some protosciences at Wikipedia.
- History of Science - at Wikipedia
- This "List of alternative, speculative and disputed theories" at WikiPedia compares some ideas from the fringe of science and asks, are they protoscience or pseudoscience?
- The Evolution of Geomorphology, Ecology, and Other Composite Sciences by W.R. Osterkamp and C.R. Hupp
- Wikipedia: uncomfortable science
- Wikipedia: Category:Hypothetical technology bears the same uncomfortable relationship to historical technology that Protoscience bears to historical science